Within five minutes of scrolling on TikTok, you can learn how to make the perfect Caesar salad, laugh at a funny cat video, watch a year’s worth of home renovations, and find out which zodiac sign is the least compatible with yours. But one of the most popular categories on TikTok, with a staggering 22.3 billion views, is self-care. Self-care Sundays, morning and night routines, journaling, and manifestation are taking social media platforms by storm. While this trend toward prioritizing our well-being offers a number of positives, it is important not to get oversaturated with this content and lose sight of what works best for you.
An influencer might have you believe that the perfect self-care day entails waking up at 8am, hitting the gym, making an açai bowl, performing a 10-step skin care routine, cleaning the house, and taking a bubble bath. This routine might be great for some, but what works for one person might not work for another. Here are some tips on how to navigate the world of self-care on social media and utilize it to create a routine for you.
- As Theodore Roosevelt said, “comparison is the thief of joy.” Remind yourself that social media is not always accurate and is oftentimes heavily curated. Try to be mindful of who you’re following and don’t be afraid to remove accounts that invoke feelings of negativity.
- Identify your self-care needs – they could be physical, mental, emotional, professional, or all of the above. Once identified, you can home in on practices that provide support in those areas.
- Try new things, even if it’s just once a week. The key to creating a self-care routine is discovering which activities bring you joy and peace.
- Keep it simple. Self-care routines aren’t supposed to be lengthy, complicated, or costly, and they need to fit into your lifestyle. Your routine can be as simple as watering your plants or making a delicious warm drink.
- Ask for help. Don’t be afraid to lean on loved ones and friends for support and seek out therapy if you think it could be right for you. Remember, you don’t have to do everything on your own.
Self-care has been proven to eliminate or reduce stress, help with building strong relationships, and increase happiness. Be conscious of what you consume and always keep in mind that self-care looks different for everyone, so focus on finding what you need and enjoy. Click here for more tips on how to build your best self-care routine.